Patients often experience varying levels of pain or discomfort from procedures performed during family planning visits. The purpose of this webinar is to provide clinicians with evidence-based tips, tricks, and strategies on how to prevent and minimize pain during family planning procedures.
The webinar focuses on the most commonly performed family planning procedures such as: IUD insertion/removal, implant insertion/removal, colposcopy, biopsy, and vulvar biopsy. Less common procedures for non-gynecologists such as LEEP, cryo, and procedures not covered by the Family PACT Program are not discussed.
The following topics are covered in detail:
- Three components and factors associated with procedure pain and strategies to alleviate discomfort
- Four examples of trauma-informed care practices for family planning clients
- Three examples of ways to use patient-centered language during pelvic exams
- Considerations for administering and providing the appropriate level of local anesthetic
- Pain management for family planning procedures
- Karen Meckstroth, MD, MPH